Brushing your teeth does not guarantee good oral hygiene. Proper oral hygiene care is important not only to ensure that your teeth and the entire mouth are healthy. However, not all people know what it is all about. That is why it can help to know the important steps to consider as follows:
- Understand your oral health needs. This can be possible by talking with your dentist if there is a special condition that affects the health of your teeth. It is because people who undergo cancer treatments diabetes and pregnancy face some oral problems.
- Develop and implement daily routine of oral health care. Once the dentist rule out your condition it will be easier to develop a routine that you should follow diligently. If ever you have special conditions to consider, your dentist can develop additional instructions to make your mouth healthy. Make sure to be committed in doing the routine.
- Use flouride. This inorganic anion works in strengthening the development of teeth and prevents possible tooth decay. This is the reason why mouth rinses and toothpastes contain fluoride. Though the tap water has fluoride, but it is not enough to supply the required level of fluoride. You can ask your dentist about your needs in this particular inorganic anion.
- Floss and brush daily. Brushing your teeth twice a day and flossing it once a day is important part of proper oral hygiene care. Nevertheless, brushing every snack or meal can help in removing plaque to avoid forming of acids that can lead to tooth problems. Otherwise, if bacterial plaque is developed there is great chance of developing periodontal diseases. Using mouth rinse that has antibacterial property can reduce the proliferation of bacteria.
- Balanced diet. It is believed that sweets can damage the teeth. It is not right to avoid sweets, you can still eat foods that are sweet but make sure that the sugar and starch contents are lower. Foods like cakes, cookies, candies, pies, raisins and dried fruits, ice cream, potato chips and soft drinks contain starches and sugars. These foods usually produce high amount of acids that can cause decay. That is why it is important to brush your teeth after eating.
- Quit using tobacco. Smoking cigarettes is another cause of tooth decay not to mention the worse effect that is oral cancer. Proper oral hygiene care will require you to quit smoking.
- Check your mouth. It is important to know the appearance of your teeth and mouth and this can be possible by checking it regularly. This way, you can easily determine any changes the soonest possible time. You can examine for any signs of cracking, chipping, looseness and discoloration of your teeth. If you notice a change, you should call your dentist immediately for the right action.
Above all, the key to proper oral hygiene care is to have regular visit to your dentist for regular cleanings and check-ups. You can also ask your dentist for the schedule of your visit.
Set an Appointment Today
Hope the bunny brought you some goodies! Don’t forget to brush! From all of us at Family Smiles Dental
Wishing you a lot of good luck! From all of us at Family Smiles Dental
Hope you have a great Valentine’s Day! Love, Family Smiles Dental
Wishing you a great New Year! 2017 from Family Smiles Dental
Hope you have a Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays! From Family Smiles Dental